31 October 2011

Book Character Day. {aka Halloween.}

There is a new trend going on at schools in the last few years, 
and I have to say I'm quite a fan. 
On Halloween children are asked to dress up as their favorite book character for their school party. 
Now you could still technically dress up as anything you want since there are books about everything these days, but I think it cuts down on some of the inappropriate costumes. 
And most of all, it promotes reading. 

This year Bryce surprised me. 
I don't know what I was expecting, 
but it wasn't Cat in the Hat. 
And I never would have guessed finding one of those hats would be so difficult. 
I've seen them before. 
I even had one in my hand one time at the dollar section at Target. 
But I put it back because I mean, who needs a Cat in the Hat hat?
So after searching and coming up empty I accepted defeat and went to get the supplies to make one. 


After sitting down and really thinking it through before I started, 
it was actually pretty easy. 
And then I cut out the shapes for his bow tie and belly and just sewed those on. 
I used on of his pajama shirts for the top and a pair of black pants that were Baylie's. 
(He doesn't know that... ha.)


**************************

Baylie surprised me not one single bit when she chose Fancy Nancy. 
It's her go to. 
Remember this from two years ago?


Well, here's Baylie (aka Fancy Nancy) two years later. 


Baylie's costume was made completely from things she already had. 

So here are their daytime costumes:


Stay tuned for nighttime costumes... 

No comments: