01 October 2010

Glasses!

I love my Baylie. I love how she is quiet and reserved, but wacky at the same time. She may not be the loudest girl in the classroom, but she has real presence. She's discovered a love of fashion. (Well, 6 year old girl fashion. We're not talking Chanel yet...) She's been picking out her own clothes this year, and most days I'm quite impressed with her ensemble. So it is no surprise to me that Miss Baylie has taken her recent news that she needs glasses and spun it into a great new fashion accessory.


 While we were waiting for her eyes to dilate in the doctors office yesterday we tried on every single pair of children glasses they had on display. We first discovered that this style was out of the question. 'Dorky' she said.


Yes, they are rather 'dorky' on her, but they are Coach. The girl has taste. But even if she did fall in love with them, I was not in love with the price. $190!! And that's just the frames! So we moved on... Quickly. She decided she was a fan of the colored plastic frames.


She really liked these at first. I think it was because they matched best with her outfit. I told her I thought they were too bulky. So we moved on.


Those last ones were black with a pink inside. Very cute. Perfect for dressing up with a poodle skirt for Halloween. But again, these were $130. I was very against spending so much money on her first pair of glasses that she only needed for reading. This girl is 6 years old and could run right into the side of a brightly painted barn if given the chance. She's going to break them. Or lose them. I'm sure of it. So spending $200-$300 on a pair of glasses for her was OUT of the question. I actually ordered her a pair yesterday, the purple ones in the middle picture, but I called to cancel the order this morning. After the lenses they came to $189. It bothered me to spend that much on them after checking out the selection at Walmart today. Their childrens glasses started at $9. The ones she picked out yesterday were $90! So we'll be off to Walmart later today to pick out some new glasses. Where we can debate for another hour on which ones will be the best for our Baylie.

No comments: