08 September 2010

Beach day - Catching dinner

Since my house still smells like cooked fish, I'm reminded that I haven't written about our beach trip we took on Monday. We went to a little beach a few miles from our house that is owned by the base. It is not actually the gulf but an inlet called Choctawhatchee Bay. This is the view:


That's Destin in the background and the Mid Bay bridge will get you there for $6 round trip. Kind of a rip off, but worth it at the same time.

We set everything up at the beach, which we have down to a pretty reasonable amount of stuff now. No more multiple trips to the car.

 (This guy doesn't know how good he has it...)

The kids played in the water and Richard did some fishing. About an hour or so into our day one of Richard's friends came out to fish as well. His name is Wink. Don't ask what his first name is, because I have no clue. I am also not aware what his full last name is. We call him Wink.


The guys started catching mackerel fish. They were trying to catch some live bait. Unfortunately, these mackerel were too big.


So they became dinner. They started finding the kids some hermit crabs as well. Baylie fell in love with these crabs. Seriously... In love.


She sat there for a long time just talking to them and holding them. She was very upset when she found out we couldn't take them home. Even though we told her they would die very soon after we brought them home, she still wanted to bring them home.

Richard caught a few more fish...


Mr. red fish was the right size to keep. They have to be in between 18" and 27". This guy was 26". This poor guy became dinner too. The other little guy that was caught became bait.


The guys brought their catch back to our house to cook them up for dinner. (Ok... Sidenote: I did not realize that in agreeing to let them prepare these fish at our house would involve fish blood and guts in my kitchen sink.) 

 gag... 

At least they scaled him outside.


Our friend Wink is from Saipan. This is how they cook their mackerel... Whole.


The red fish was cut up and fried like most other fish are done. It was good. Bryce was impressed... 


I think it finally clicked for him though that this fish was swimming in the water a few hours ago and now it's in his belly. He told me next time we go to the beach he'll catch us some dinner. I'm sure he will too... In a few more years.

No comments: